CONTINUATION: GENESIS 41
49. Joseph received from Pharaoh a new name (41:45); as God gave Jesus Christ a new name (Philippians 2:9, 10; Matthew 1:21; Acts 5:31). True is was the name “Jesus” given to Him at His birth. Jesus means Saviour, but Jesus could not save His people from their sins until after His death, burial, and resurrection. As Joseph did not become his people’s saviour until after his “death,” “burial,” and “resurrection.”
50. Joseph was thirty years old when he began his ministry (41:46); as Jesus was thirty when He began His public ministry (Luke 3:23).
51. Joseph’s exaltation was followed by a season of plenty (41:47-49); as their (is) a season of harvest now after Jesus’ exaltation as LORD. This time period is known as “the time of the Gentiles.” (Romans 11:25; John 12:24).
52. Joseph’s exaltation was also followed by a period of famine (41:53-54); as ‘the time of Gentiles’ will come to an end and ‘the time of Jacob’s trouble’ (Jeremiah 30:7) will begin. (See Daniel 12:7; Mark 13:19-20 (it will a very grievous time (as in Genesis 41:31)). It will be a time when the whole earth (a picture of all of Egypt) will be tried. (Revelation 3:10). See Amos 8:11-12 for the kind of famine coming (or may already be here) – a famine of the Word of God.
53. Joseph, alone, is now seen as dispersing bread to a perishing world (41:55); as Jesus is the One who alone disperses the Bread of Life (Acts 4:12; Matthew 17:5 ‘. . . hear Him.’